Some years ago if someone had suggested to me that I would be/should be homeschooling my kids, I would have rejected the idea right away.
But its amazing how actually having the children makes your mind and ideas shift.
Our little man is all set for kindy this year. The state regulations doesn’t require him to be registered for homeschooloing for another year.
Even though this is something we have really wanted to do yet finding the prospect so very overwhelming.
So I thought this was a good time to dig deep and jot down all the reasons why we want to take on homeschooling as a way of educating our children.
As crazy as many of these reasons may seem but here goes….
1. As a mother I know my child better than any teacher ever will. And I can care for my child better than anyone ever will.
2. I want to get to know my kids better. How they think, what are their interests, their likes and dislikes, how they view the world, their talents….everything!
3. I get to be the main boss figure in my child’s life. No one messes around with my child but me ;).
4. Our home, our rules, our values. That’s pretty self explanatory :D.
5. We want Islam and Qur’an to be central in our learning and education.
6. I like being around my children. Even though they drive me up the walls at times. But I have learnt so much from my kids as well. Patience, humility and compassion.
7. We get to learn in our own time. Without any time limits to be met, we can go as fast or as slow as we want and learn as much or as little as we want.
8. My son can’t sit still for more than 15 minutes at a time. Unless he is destructing or building something, he is always on the move. I am always looking for ways to teach which better suit his interests and style.
9. The world is our classroom! Learning doesn’t have to happen in the confines of the classroom. We learn while we are in the bath, in the kitchen or at the park. Each experience offers a unique learning experience.
10. The younger siblings get to learn from the older siblings.
11. Kids being at home means they get to help around the house. Be it cooking, cleaning and general chores. Yes I am evil like that ;).
12. I believe being taught at home will make my children better learners. Period.
13. I don’t want to miss a thing! Just like their first tooth, first step, the time theyspoke their first word, I don’t want to miss out on when they read or write their first words.
14. We get to learn and explore together as a family.
15. No pressure mornings trying to get everyone ready and out the door!
16. We get to keep and follow our own schedules.
17. Home is a safe haven for learning. No bullying or peer pressure or any other negative influences.
18. Easier for me to feed them healthy and keep them healthy (by the will of Allah).
19. For me it’s an act of rebellion. I am a rebel at heart and for me this is rebellion against a conformist society.
One day we might decide that this isn’t for our family. But this is what appeals to our conscience at this moment in our lives.
Abdullah ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Every one of you is a shepherd and is responsible for his flock….”
Sahih Al-Bukhari 6719
Are you a homeschooling family? I would love to know why you choose to homeschool your children and how are your days like 🙂